Monday, December 21, 2009

Firing the gas kiln today...

What a day! Everything was meant set up to be a very productive day. Cars in the shop, time for shopping, making bowls for the empty bowls project, cleaning the studio, glazing pots, and of course firing the big gas kiln. O.K. so maybe I was reaching a bit... Well it is 6pm and I am still here firing the kiln, I have been here since 8am... Had trouble with the burners, so things were delayed a bit, then in the middle of firing one of them quit on me, of course I had taken my one and only break of the day and went to lunch during the first reduction. Pushed everything back a couple of hours. Kids were here with me for a while and I was constantly distracted by little things so nothing else happened except a little cleaning and a much larger mechanics bill than we planned on. All in all still not a bad day. I also must concede that their might be something wrong with the kiln, the bottom just will not get hot enough no matter what I adjust, so it may be time for a makeover for the old girl... it is looking to be a very busy spring semester. I just hope my work study are up for it! They will learn a ton of technical information but it will be a bit of work. I still have a very messy house to go home to and a couple of rowdy boys to get to bed so wish me luck and hope for a more productive tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment